Sunday, March 4, 2012

How do we Solve Logic Problems using Conditionals?

In this post you will learn about 2 more conditionals and one special conditional.


Remembering that a conditional is when you use "If" in front of the hypothesis of the statement and "then" in front of the conclusion, we can continue our investigation through conditionals.


A Converse is when you switch the hypothesis and the conclusion.
             Ex: If I ate 2 tacos for dinner, then I'm full. The converse to this conditional is "If I'm full, then i ate 2 tacos for dinner"





A Contrapositive must be the hardest one because that's the one the Regents use a lot on their exams. A contrapositive is when you negate and switch the hypothesis and conclusion. So you use both inverse and converse. Contrapositives is very easy, its just that sometimes it might get difficult, depending on the statements which is given.
Ex: If i study, then I'll pass geometry. The contrapositive to this conditional is "If I do not pass Geometry, then I didn't study"

Remember:The contrapositive is the mixing of the inverse and the converse. 


Problem: What is logically equivalent to the statement "If it is not raining, then I'm happy"

**Images and Examples provided by regentsprep.org and google.com/images and also my notes from Geometry class.

No comments:

Post a Comment